We have been searching for a decent biryani place since ages in Qatar. But we are yet to find one! (Please share with us if you have found one) So, after a lot of searching here and there, we came to the conclusion that nothing beats homemade biryani. But due to our amateur cooking skills, we were not sure if we would be able to master the art of biryani. Looking at the recipes on internet made us even more conscious, the huge amount of masalas which go into it, the quantities, the measurements and what not! Our mind was literally gobbled.
But only then, a dear one came to the rescue and shared her secret biryani recipe with us! Which btw is not going to be a secret anymore as we are going to share it with you all. So, this recipe guys is one of the simplest ones we have ever come across. And it is perfect for those who are beginners and are too scared to give biryani a shot!
- 1 kg Chicken (with bones, cut in 8 pieces)
- 750 gm Basmati Rice
- 4-5 Onions sliced
- 2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 3-4 Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 packet Biryani Masala
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil
- Handful of chopped coriander and mint
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1 lemon cut in cubes/slices
- Boil the rice and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over moderate flame. Add onions. Once the color of onions change i.e. turns pinkish brown, add ginger garlic paste and sauté for two minutes.
- Then add chicken. Cook it until half done.
- Meanwhile add tomatoes, yogurt and biryani masala in a blender and blend to form a purée. (We prefer adding National Biryani Masala, as it gives a beautiful aroma and traditional taste)
- Once the chicken is half done (i.e. all the water has dried out) add the tomato purée in it. Now cook it until the chicken is cooked through and the oil comes on top. You may want to adjust the salt and spices at this stage, as per your taste.
- Now that the chicken is done. Take rice in another skillet. Layer the chicken on top. Then sprinkle coriander, mint, lemon and green chilies. Cover it properly and let it simmer for around 10 minutes.
- After 10 -15 minutes, remove the lid. Mix everything well. And voila! The biryani is ready. Serve and enjoy!